Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Sacrament of Reconciliation and the Family

My children will be receiving their First Holy Communion on May 5th, They did their First Reconciliation in February. Yesterday was also a special first for the Pryor household. It was the first time we were able to partake of the Sacrament of Reconciliation as a family. My intent has always been, once the boys were of age, to go to Confession as a family, but sitting there with them and the twenty or so others in line last night, I found myself uncharacteristically distracted, praying for their second confessions to go smoothly. Josh, at his request, was the first one to go and the ear-to-ear grin on his face upon exiting the confessional proved my concerns unwarranted.
 

Since converting to Catholicism I have never been nervous about Confession. I have never had a single bad experience during confession, as a matter of fact I have never left the confessional feeling anything but the amazing joy of renewal. So I'll attribute my trepidation for my sons to simple "parental-overprotection". It was, in the end, extremely edifying for me to see my boys kneeling and doing their penance. It was in that moment I was struck once again by my awesome responsibility as their father. Not just the responsibility to give society good, moral young men, but far more importantly, my responsibility to give them to God. To ensure they know their Savior and His Church, so that in the end, they too enjoy the Beatific Vision of the Blessed Trinity. That is my prayer for them and my life's mission.

To my Catholic friends I would suggest that if you're not doing so already, make regular Confession a family event, it will be as much of a joy for you as it will be a blessing to your children.

To my non-Catholic friends, I would only ask that you give John 20:22-23 another reading:

When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
Simply consider why Christ gave the Apostles this power...His power.
 

I wish you all a Blessed Holy Week!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog